University Relations & Community Outreach
Engagement with the society is an opportunity to partner with its key stakeholders, contribute to the prosperity and intellectuality of the community. URCO works in collaboration with partners to engage the community by utilizing KFUPM’s resources and service.
7 Dimensions of Community Engagement
URCO has developed 7-Dimension model of community engagement to set strategic direction and bring synergy among paradigm of community services. This model has 7 dimensions aligned with KFUPM strategic goals, described as follows:
- Public access to knowledge
- Public access to facilities
- Student Engagement
- Faculty Engagement
- Institutional relationships and partnership building
- Widening participation (equality & diversity)
- Economy regeneration & enterprise in social engagement
1. Public access to knowledge
KFUPM offers continuing education programs and training courses to partner organizations as well as to individual professionals for skill development. These knowledge-based services can generally be divided into main categories:
- General Education: Raising competency of Science and Mathematics through specific courses, programs and competitions by introducing the latest advent in educational methodologies, techniques and tools.
- Training course: Continuing Education Programs (CEP) has designed customized short courses as per demand of partner organization for improving general skills and continuing education.
- Educational Events: KFUPM organize many conferences, workshops, seminars within or outside campus. SciTech offers different support education programs for dissemination of knowledge to public through interactive way. The center organizes educational programs for students and all segments of society to raise the level of knowledge.
2. Public access to facilities
KFUPM offers its learning resources and services to wider community through variety of initiatives for knowledge dissemination and public accessibility. Some major initiatives are listed as follows:
3. Student Engagement
KFUPM encourages its students to participate in community service activities and set it as an essential part of their curriculum. The participation in such activities develops leadership and teamwork skills among students and gives them opportunity to work for social reforms in the community by working together for a common cause. Generally, KFUPM students are engaged in community service in following three categories:
- Volunteer Programs
- Training Programs
- Students' Clubs activities
4. Faculty Engagement
KFUPM Faculty is actively involved in Community services. The Faculty of each College teaches specialized community educations programs and also deliver public lectures. Moreover, they are also encouraged to participate in discussion boards, conduct research and other related activities that address societal needs.
5. Institutional relations and partnership buildingIncluding:
- Industry Relations: KFUPM is operating its Industry Liaison Office (ILO) to establish strong relations with Industries by creating mutual beneficial opportunities of using resources.
- Alumni Relations: KFUPM has established and maintained strong and regular contact with its alumni through Alumni Relations Unit, managing Tawasul and iMentor Program.
6. Economy regeneration & enterprise in social engagementIncluding:
- Research collaboration and technology transfer
- Meeting regional skills needs and supporting SMEs
- Initiatives to expand innovation and design e.g. bringing together staff, students and community members to design, develop and test Assistive Technology for people with disabilities
- Business advisory services offering support for community-university collaborations (e.g. social enterprises)
- Prizes for entrepreneurial projects
7. Widening Participationincluding:
- Improving recruitment and success rate of students from non-traditional backgrounds through innovative initiatives e.g. access courses, financial assistance, peer monitoring
- A publicly available strategy for encouraging access by students with disabilities